@1918 L-R Back row: Jim, Margaret, Tom, Myrtle, John, Bina, Irvin; Middle row: Lillian, Harris, Orpha, Nat, Kate, Irvin; Front row: Nathan, Ray, Flossie, Leland

June 27, 2017

A Testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith


Harris Greer did not leave us any personal writings about his life. Most of what we know about what a great man he was--highly respected, strictly honest, reliable, full of integrity, devoted public servant, tender father--we learn from what others have written about him. But nothing is mentioned about his testimony of the Gospel and devotion to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We get a glimpse of this, however, from something his son Jim wrote:

     I remember that when [Father] came to California, to visit me, how much I enjoyed having him.
     He talked about the good things that were in store for me, if I would become interested and work
     in it, and of what a wonderful man Joseph Smith was. I will always remember the love and
     counsel he gave me then.

Today is the 173rd anniversary of the martyrdom of the Prophet Joseph Smith. Harris must have had a great love for him. Some of that may have been passed down from his parents--especially his mother, who was personally acquainted with the Prophet [see the post on this blog from June 27, 2013]--but it also had to have been something that he developed deep in his heart on his own. I think he would want us to know that today.

No comments:

Post a Comment